Wednesday, December 17, 2008

4th installment of Short stories by Wade, Now with pictures




Over the past 1 1/2 to 2 years, there has been debate about wind machines going up in different Utahn locations. One of which is at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon. Most people seemed for the idea, especially with the ever-increasing cost of power. A vocal minority, mostly from the canyon area, were against it, using noise pollution, the incidental deaths of birds, and the blocking of their view, as their arguments. Well, the debate came and went and we now have a wind farm, which includes 9 HUGE machines. I haven't done much research on the exact size of these things, but I'm guessing that each blade of the propellers is about 150 ft. They are a spectacular site. I am glad to see some forward thinking ideas coming to fruition in Utah, a state sometimes known for it's anti-progress attitudes. Anyway, I believe this particular farm is owned by Rocky Mountain Power and the electricity generated is being sold down the grid to California. Recent rumor is that another, much larger farm is going up in the West Desert, somewhere out by Bonneville Salt Flats. Can't wait to see it.

I've been doing some side projects lately; some for family and some for friends. Recently, a friend of ours asked me to make some window shutters, which they wanted for a Christmas present to an in-law. I hadn't done any before but the 2nd photo is what I came up with; closest thing to what she had described. I think they turned out well. Perhaps I'll do some more for our house.

The next picture was another small project, and another first. I've installed fireplace mantles before and I've helped my boss build some. But I had never done it myself before last week. My sister and brother-in-law asked me if I could build a mantle, one that was a bit better, more rustic perhaps than what they had. (Wish I would've taken a picture of the one I removed). Anyway, this was a fairly simple design I came up with. It was easy to install. (Because it is a smaller design, I built and installed it as 3 separate pieces; the actual mantle and the 2 legs). I don't think it's the best one I'll ever do but they seemed really happy with it and I enjoyed doing it.

Last picture is one I took the other day of my friend Jed holding Jericho. Jed is a native of Payson--my hometown, though he's now a resident of Alaska. (Wish I could say the same for myself). Anyway he's in town for the holidays and this was his first time meeting our new son. They get along great already. Jericho will be lucky to have an Uncle Jed. I met Jed quite a few years ago when he was managing our local bike shop. I began riding with him and trying to pick up a few of his mountain biking skills. He has become one of my best friends since and I always wish he was here instead of 3000 miles away---or else I wish I was 3000 miles away with him. (Come on Brynn--you know you want to be there too). Anyway, Jed is the best kind of person there is. He's a true friend and someone you could trust with your life. This photo will be of great value, especially since we only get to see him for a few days each year.

And that concludes this, the 4th installment of Short Stories by Wade, Now with pictures.

3 comments:

Kari said...

What happened to the 3rd installment? Too confrontational? Someone sent me a PowerPoint of a wind machine being installed. Seeing it in the pieces and with people next to them was pretty amazing to see the size.

I love the shutters and mantle you did! What a great talent, something I would love to be able to do. My parents had custom made kitchen cabinets made by a friend a few years ago, and there is just something about hand-made things that just make them so much more unique. Hopefully you get the time to hone your talent even more.

Shawna said...

Wade your work is awsome, you have some mad wood working skills. Girls love guys with skills. Num chuck skills, computer hacking skills. Oh sorry I just went off (one of my favorite movies)

Wade The Rascal said...

The 3rd installment was edited...or so I thought that's what I did. When I thought I reposted it, in its new form, it vanished into thin air and I haven't been able to find it. So, if you did happen to see it, consider yourself lucky....or.....unlucky I guess.