Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What more could I ask for?



After years of unsuccessful attempts to find me a mate, my Uncle Joe finally had the timing right to fix Brynn and me up on a blind date. Actually, I arranged it; he just gave me her phone number and a nudge into doing it. I called her and could tell right away that she had a decent sense of humor and that we could probably have fun on a night out. We soon got together for dinner at the Tepanyaki Restaurant in Provo. We had delicious food and, although she made fun of me a bit over my shaved arms, we had a nice time, with no shortage of good conversation. I cannot say it was love at first sight, but it was a good first date and I wanted a second. Two dates led to three, and then four, and then it all snowballed into a relationship. Yikes! Up to that point I had been afraid of RELATIONSHIPS, having been hurt and burned a time or two. (As my mom puts it, I had been around the block).

Anyhow, it didn't take more than 9 or 10 months to realize that Brynn was the one with whom I wanted to spend my life. And she must have thought I was OK too because she said yes to my marriage proposal. (Well, after she finished laughing, that is).

We were married on April 29, 2006, in her parents' beautiful backyard. A day or two later, we loaded up the car and moved to Anchorage, AK, where we spent 6 months working and playing. I had hoped she'd fall in love with Alaska, as I had, and want to stay permanently. But she had other thoughts and other plans for us. We moved back to Utah, got jobs, and sort of settled in, or, began building our nest, as it were. We got our first house about 1 1/2 years ago in Payson, my hometown. At about the perfect time, Jericho, our first son, was born.

My life is no longer my own. It is now ours. I have a family, something I wasn't sure I'd ever have. (I think my parents worried about it more than I did.) But I am thrilled with my life at this point. I have two people who love and depend on me. And I cannot imagine loving anyone or anything more than I love my wife and my son. I'm reminded of a quote from the story of Christopher McCandless, in "Into the Wild." At the end of his life, when it was nearly too late, he realized, "Happiness is only real when it's shared." (That may be misquoted; Let's call it a paraphrase).

Well, I just want to tell my wife, my lover, the mother of my child, my soul-mate, that I love her. Brynn, you truly are the best thing that's/who's ever happened to me. I am a better person, simply for knowing you. You are a wonderful example of unconditional love and of goodness. Thank you for the past 4 1/2 years. Thank you for our son. You are an amazing mom. Most of all, thank you for loving me.

Happy Anniversary baby!


6 comments:

The Hone's said...

Such a good post Wade. We all are glad you have Brynn.... she is one awesome person. Happy Anniversary to you both.

Brynn said...

Wow. What can I say? I'm truly the luckiest girl in the world and have felt so grateful to have found the perfect husband. Thank you honey, that was an awesome post and completely made my day. I love you more than anything and can't believe what a wonderful little family we have!

Jami Broadbent said...

oh that totally just made me tear up.

Wade The Rascal said...

Before you all think I'm way too sappy, I'd best get back to blogging about the Wolf situation.

Joel said...

Well Done Wade. Well Done.

Shawna said...

Wade what a wonderful post. Ill never forget the way you talked about Brynn when you were dating. She was and still is your life. She really is great but so are you. Im glad to see you so happy. Your awsome