Sunday, May 15, 2011

Stuff, including Nature Saturday

From Nature Saturday, this was a snow slide across the canyon road. Had to hike the bike over it. I had anticipated it, but thought once I crossed it, I could ride my bike up the road to a favorite trailhead. I was wrong, as most of the road the rest of the way was covered in snow. I finally ditched the bike and just hiked it, which was more relaxing, actually and I was able to take in the beautiful surroundings, rather than just be huffing and puffing trying to pedal up that steep canyon. Anyway, this bike is one of my favorites. It's 20 years old; I bought it barely used in 1995.
This was a couple of weeks ago. We had taken my son to the pond to feed the ducks. I remember my mom taking me and my siblings to the pond to feed the ducks. It just seems natural to take my son there. He loves it. But there was this badass seagull that drug a fish up the shore and was tearing it up. I always say nature isn't always pretty, but then again, it is.
For our 5 year anniversary, big spenders we are, we drove 3 hours down to Capitol Reef, a national park in Utah which is quickly becoming a favorite destination for me. It was beautiful as always, albeit cold and windy. Wish my pics would have turned out better; I didn't have he patience in that wind though. Still, a great trip.
Egyptian Temple, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, UT
While driving down a dirt road on the south end of the park, we stopped, very randomly to look at some plants. There's rock and cliffs to climb on everywhere you go. I climbed up this rock and found what must be some Fremont Indian ruins. Sort of a makeshift shelter under a huge boulder and, if you look closely, you'll see old corn cobs. A very cool find.
Just some prettiness of the West Desert, Simpson Springs, UT area.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I was so excited for May so that the canyons would be open, but now the places I want to go to are still blocked by snow. I'm a little bummed about that.

Capitol Reef is another place I've never been. I really need to get started on this exploring! The ruins were a great find!