Monday, October 27, 2008

I dont' have anything to say...

Quote of the moment, which took place during the 31st minute of the 23rd hour of the 27th day of the 10th month of the year 2008:

“(Nationalism is) a set of beliefs taught to each generation in which the Motherland or the Fatherland is an object of veneration and becomes a burning cause for which one becomes willing to kill the children of other Motherlands or Fatherlands”
-Howard Zinn-



Howard Zinn is a prominent and well respected historian and a professor at Boston University. One of the greatest history books I've ever read is "A People's History of the United States," written by Zinn. I wish people would read this book before they vote, just to really get a better picture of our great nation, and to be better informed. Howard Zinn is one of my heroes.

2 comments:

Kari said...

That's a very thought provoking quote. I think it addresses the evil that can be caused my becoming too powerful, too caught up in your own goodness. The video reminds me of a quote I always liked: "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Theodore Roosevelt

This may be a different track then what you were thinking about your quote, but it reminded me of this. It really bothers me that there are so many people that will say you are being "unpatriotic" because you question anything your government/country/elected leaders do. I feel that the opposite is true. I think we DO live in a great and amazing county, and that is why it bothers me when I feel that they are doing things that are against the best interests of its people. If I wasn't patriotic, I wouldn't care.

Because I opposed a war that our country started, doesn't mean that I don't have respect for our country or armed services, it is BECAUSE of that respect that I opposed a direction I felt our country was going. The president isn't God, he is human and will make mistakes. It's our duty as a citizen of this country to make sure our leaders our held accountable for their mistakes. It is our duty to try and learn from our mistakes, and not blindly go forward thinking that all is well and trying to leave the past in the past.

Wade The Rascal said...

Actually, your interpretation is spot on---or at least the same as mine. Yeah, Thomas Jefferson also said that it is the duty of Americans to abolish or overthrow a government when it stops doing the will of the people. And, I feel the same way as you do about the other; I love my country and know that it can and should be doing better than it has been. That's the reason I may seem critical of it. That's the reason I speak out or care at all. I hated people telling me that if I didn't support the war, then I didn't support the troops. Yeah, like it's either/or. The reason I was vocal against the war and some of our foreign policies is because I support our troops and I want our country to get back on the right track.