Friday, October 17, 2008

Thoughts about presidential debate III

Well, this will be short and sweet, as we learned little more in this debate than in the previous two. The most dominating topic was the economy and the two candidates each presented their "new" plans this week.

In a nutshell, McCain's economic policies, including taxation, will look a lot like our current system, under the Bush Administration. It is often called "trickle-down," or, "supply-side." Essentially, the theory is, give the rich people all the tax breaks and they, in turn, will supply jobs and, therefore, money to the rest of the little people.

Obama's plan is, according to him, the anti-thesis of the Bush/McCain policy. His theory says, if you give the majority (95%) of Americans a tax cut, they'll have more money to pay bills and, more importantly, to infuse into the economy by purchasing goods and services at American businesses.

I, like McCain, am no economic genius. I'm not sure either of the two plans will solve our financial crisis very quickly. I think Americans are going to pay, for a long time, for the irresponsible decisions and spending by "the powers that be." However, the Bush policy has been in place for nearly 8 years and has proven not to work. I can see how it might have--had the government put more regulation and checks and investigations on the big businesses to which the tax breaks were given. For example, Exxon/Mobil has made record profits for the last 2 years. We're talking about 12 billion dollars this year. So much, that they gave a former top staffer who "no longer works there" a $400,000,000.00 severance. What?!?! That is outrageous, especially when, admittedly, Exxon/Mobil is not putting any of the money from tax breaks, into research for alternative/renewable energy sources. I'll find fault with that all day long. So, sorry McCain, Obama's got you beat this time on economic policy, even if it's by default.

Again, we've seen the personalities and what seems to be the true character of the candidates this last week and during Wednesday night's debate. How is Obama so good at staying calm and collected during all of McCain's attacks? I think he's doing the right thing--showing that he isn't quick to be defensively reactive. Rather, he's cool and thoughtful under the most stressful of situations. Great trait for a leader of the free world. McCain obviously does not like Obama. He acts like a cornered wolverine--always hungry, pissed, and pissed because he's hungry. He's not the thoughtful, sensible, cool-headed leader we need right now. These times are going to require intelligence, thoughtfulness, and reaching across party lines. Obama has vowed to have both republicans and democrats in his cabinet.

While both sides have run negative ads, I find McCain's side to be more troubling. He's making Palin do his dirty work--inciting hatred and violence at her rallies. When more than a handful of people at your rallies are chanting, "Terrorist," "Off with his head," and "Kill him," at your mention of the other candidate's name, you need to take the high road (Palin) and bring things back down to reality. Instead, the McCain camp has done barely a thing about it. I just saw on the news that a guy has an Obama effigy, hanging from his tree, a noose tied around its neck, and "Husein" written across it, as well as a Jewish Star of David on it's head. It's hanging above a McCain/Palin campaign sign. And this is not an isolated incident on the part of McCain supporters. McCain, you have the support of the KKK and other racist, White Supremacist groups. While you may not belong to these groups, if you fail to publicly denounce these acts, then you are as low as they are in my book. I had great respect for you as a senator and, more so, as a hero P.O.W. Throughout your campaign for presidency, whether by your slander of Mitt Romney or your low, half-truth lies about Obama, I've lost every ounce of respect for you. These are not the actions of an American hero.

Palin, you are every bit the Washington politician you claimed not to become. You've stooped to lower than low levels. You said nothing in response to the calls to kill Obama at your rallies. At least McCain had the decency to swipe the mic out of that crazy lady's hands and say, "No, Obama isn't an Arab. He's a decent man. He's not someone that people need to fear." Please, go back to Alaska and tend to your family. You have a teenage daughter who is pregnant and will need her mom, and you have a special needs child who will need far more attention from you than you'll be able to give if, God forbid, you became VP.

Mostly, I want a leader who is for the American people---all of them. I want a leader who will always choose peace, when war isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary. We've had 8 years of a president who was a C student. McCain graduated at the bottom of his class. Obama at the top. My choice this November 4th will be an easy one.

3 comments:

Kari said...

I agree that I have no idea how to fix our economy, but I don't feel bad if people making above $250,000 are going to have to pay a little more in taxes. I find it odd that McCain things the idea of "spreading wealth" is such a horrible concept. I appreciated that Obama was willing to say that he makes a comfortable living, and that he can afford to pay a little more in taxes. I think that whoever wins need to be willing to look at the excessive spending of the government and really overhaul things. I think that person though will have a huge uphill battle, because those kind of decisions aren't left up to one person, and there are way too many lobbyists and senators/congresspeople, under those lobbyists control.

My husband's favorite part of the debates is watching their facial expressions. Was it just me or did McCain have the smile that says, I'm smiling only because I'm about to blow up right now, but I know I can't so I'm gonna smile.

I found it a little odd that McCain was making such a big deal about Obama not denouncing something that someone said who was not even affiliated with the Obama campaign. Yet on McCain's own ticket Sarah has been way too involved in my mind with some pretty hateful things that have been said about Obama. I did appreciate Obama saying that the country is more interested in hearing about the issues and not their hurt feelings.

I have to mention something that you said in the last post. When McCain was talking about Palin and that is was time to break up the old boys club, I yelled at the tv, that's you! To me it feels like the McCain camp takes the same things they bash Obama on (inexperience in Washington) and use that as a positive reason why Palin is worthy to be in line for the presidency.

I thought the education question was interesting because it isn't something that has really been addressed at the other debates. Since my father is a teacher this is always an issue that I care a lot about. Although I can't say I agree 100% with Obama on education, I'm still not sure what McCain's plan is. Other than he is obviously worried about the school system in DC. Does he think the rest of the country is ok? From my dad's view (and I figure teachers know more than I do about it) No Child Left Behind is NOT working. I think focusing on vouchers is like saying we have this huge problem over here, but we don't really know what to do. So instead we are going to let some of you get out of the mess and try something different. For the rest of you who still have to go to public school, we will just hope things work themselves out.

I definitely am confident about who I want to be president. And I have to say, in the last election I was not a Kerry fan (although I did like Edwards), but I felt like voting for Bush was like voting for the devil. In this election I am actually voting for someone who I feel cares about the things going on in my life. I feel like I will be voting for someone who values the same things I value, and I am willing to put my trust in him to try his hardest to make a positive change for our country. I feel that I have blessed with an extraordinary chance of living in the U.S. and I am supporting a person who I feel can bring back some of the good things that this country has let go by the wayside in exchange for power and greed. And it is with great pride that I will mark that little box next to Obama's name. I just wish I lived in a state where it would have an effect :)
And now I will climb off of my box and go back to sitting on the couch.

Wade The Rascal said...

Your post made me laugh Kari. Because I did the exact same thing---yelling at the TV---when McCain talked about Palin being good for breaking up the Good 'ol Boys network in Washington. Hopefully, we weren't the only 2 who saw the irony in that. Thanks again for your comments Kari. Always excited to read them. Our great minds think alike.

Joel said...

If Obama wins I hope you are all right about him. At this point, I doubt it.