Sunday, April 24, 2011

Nature Sundays Vol. III

Well, it's Easter Sunday. It was about 35 degrees this morning. I thought about sleeping in, but once I woke up at 6:15, I was up for good. Kinda glad, too. There's so much you miss by sleeping in, as far as nature goes. And sometimes, God rewards those who get out there and take in all that He created. Or, so I believe.


I was driving around, just looking for some good landscapes. I had missed the fact that there was wildlife out this morning. I was lucky this pair of sandhill cranes stuck around long enough for me to spot them from the road. They're so pretty. To some people, bird watching is for old people in shorts that are way to short for them, and big binoculars hung around their necks. But I enjoy watching them, especially because so many of them hang in breeding pairs. And two birds for a photo are almost always better than one.
I wish I could have composed this better. I stumbled around in the grass, and the shallow puddles, trying to find a better angle, but was unsuccessful. Still, it's worthy of Nature Sunday.
Ah, big, beautiful Timpanogas. I have a special place for it, in my heart, especially after climbing it last September. It was actually a pretty hard hike. (Who knew my knees would be so sensitive to the climb up and down?) But there's so much to see up there. I'd be tempted to climb it again this year. And I may. I'll probably try to get up Nebo first though. Just thought this was a pretty scene this morning, on my way back into town.
I've shot these before, and this, by no means, is a very artistic shot. I just like looking at the wind towers. Especially with Earth Day having been yesterday, it makes me smile to think of this, and other projects like it, where man is finally realizing the potential for clean, renewable energy resources.
I've taken many pictures of hawks before, but couldn't resist trying to capture this one. He/she was pretty willing just to sit there while I did my best with a cheap 300mm to get a closer glimpse. I wonder how many mice or squirrels he's tried to catch and eat this morning.
If I were a horse, I'd definitely prefer a home like this, to a little stall in someone's tiny yard.
It's Spring time and the deer are out enjoying the new green food source on the ground. These ones are starting to scrape off their winter undercoats. They always look so scrappy in the Spring. With all of the deer I saw on the hillsides, browsing the brush and the ground, I couldn't help but think there was a mountain lion, or two, watching and waiting for a good Easter meal. Mountain lions are about the only animal that scare me. I'm uneasy knowing that I'll probably never see one before it sees me. That said, I've spent hours and days in lion country and have never seen one, or had a run-in with one. I have seen their tracks; I've even seen their tracks in my tracks--made the hairs on my neck stand right up. But they are beautiful and I'd love the chance to see one through my camera lens. One day...

1 comment:

Kari said...

Great shots Wade. I've wanted to go shot the wind turbines sometime. They are beautiful and yet alien looking at the same time. Love the cranes and hawk and the mountain shots. As much as I dislike the snow, it sure does make the mountains look beautiful.

I was hiking with a friend once who made a comment about how he was sure there were mountain lions watching us. I try not to think about such things. I'll let you find one to photograph, I want to keep pretending they aren't there.