Friday, September 19, 2008

And it all comes crashing down...

Stress. I have it. I think I have a lot of it lately. If it were possible, I would probably have a disease called stressitis. What's the cure for it though? I'm usually pretty good at dealing with it; I cuss like a sailor, I work out, I get some fresh air outside, I watch a funny show. But this is ridiculous.

First of all, the stock market is taking a tumble. Some people speculate that it will continue to tumble until it hits rock bottom. Yikes. Others say, it's going to be OK. We're sliding backward, economically, but we'll bounce back. Our inept commander in chief, Pres. Bush, held a press conference yesterday and said he shares our concern about the economy and he's looking into it. That's it? That's all you got, Dubya? How about telling us why you fought so hard for deregulation. Tell us how that worked out. And for crying out loud, tell us what you're going to do about it. Give us some confidence. Should we "go shopping" like you advised us to do immediately after 9/11? Or should we hold onto our pennies? Should we pull all of our money from the stock market? Or should we leave it in if we can and hope it come back up eventually? Worst president in American history? Well, pretty close at least.

While I was working yesterday, my wife sent me a message that my mom had been taken to the hospital in an ambulance because her neighbors found her passed out on her porch. I took a deep breath and thought, "What will it be next?" I went to the hospital. They really didn't treat her with much. Everything was pretty much fine. One of those mysteries, you know. Then, after they released her, my mom and I got into this huge fight outside the hospital. I was mad about the last 20 years or so and I said a bunch of things that I now wish I hadn't. (By the way, unless you REALLY know about all of this, you might be thinking, "Wow, what an ass!" But if you DO really know me and about all of this, you'll probably understand a little more. Still, I wish I hadn't have blown up like that. I let my frustrations with that situation get the best of me. What do I do now though? One thing I know for sure is, you never ever want to give up on, or abandon, your relationship with your parents. And you hope they feel the same way toward you. Sigh.

When I finally got home last night, Brynn had found our dog Jake to be sick. We always know when he's sick because his personality is predictable. When it's off, we know he isn't feeling good. Nothing much I could do about it last night. I took him to the vet this morning. He hasn't eaten for a day, though he's drinking a lot of water. The vet's thermometer wasn't working out for us so we didn't get a temperature. His nose is wet like normal and the coloring on his gums is the same. (If you're lost at this point, get a dog. You'll figure it out). Well, Jake is acting better this morning. A little perkier. But he's still not eating. The vet seemed to think he must have eaten some bad food. Could be. But one thing worries me more. The freaking neighbor girls from across our back fence have thrown 3 or 4 of their rubber beach-type balls into our yard and the dogs have shredded them. (I'd expect no less). But now I'm worried that Jake may have a piece of rubber stuck somewhere along his digestive tract. I called the vet back with this additional information and he doesn't think I should worry about the beach balls. Well, that dog is a HUGE part of me. And when he's sick, I worry myself sick. I hope he gets better and starts eating soon.

When I called to tell my work crew that I wouldn't make it up to the job this morning, I was told, "Take your time." Apparently, the builder is LOW on money. This project is a 17-plex of custom condos. They're going to be selling each unit for like $350,000-$400,000. For 2 bedrooms! Are you kidding me? Well, I guess they're not selling too great right now and they called my boss and told him to stop everything---that he should submit an invoice so they can pay him up to this point and that may be the end of it. The potential problem? We're already into it for $120,000---just for our finish carpentry. So, the market is horrible--even in Utah. What will become of all of us construction workers? I'd better change career paths sooner than later.

Well, thanks to blogging, my stress level has gone from a 10 to an 8.5.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

OH Wade what to do with you!! Are you spending quality time with your wife? Are you trying to focus on things that make you happy? If you arent you really need to start. Im sorry to hear about your mom, I do know some of the history but Im sorry that it happend. You are a wonderful person and I wonder if sometimes you forget that. You are a great friend, husband and son. Im sure that sometimes you dont feel it but you need to. Brynn is just as lucky to have you as you are to have her. Because Im not the provider or the dad I cant say that I know where you are coming from with the stress of having a new life come into this world and a wife to support but I know that strong faith and love will help you through. I know things are scary right now for everyone but you cant waist presious time with your family worrying yourself sick. Im way proud of you and who you are. I miss you and wish there was more I could do or say to help You. I'll keep you in my prayers and would like to hear from you sometime, I mean other than on here. Love you and Brynn, Tell her hi also.

Wade The Rascal said...

Oh Shawna. You always have had wisdom beyond your years. I suppose, perhaps, that when Jericho gets here, he will take up most of my time and I won't have much else to think about. That will be good, won't it? I'm finally beginning the crib today. I hope it turns out nicely. I'll give you a call soon. Or, if I don't, then you'll give me one, right? Thanks for your wisdom.